Thursday 16 February 2012

Battle of the Kingdom's Tournament report


Please Note---> I did NOT intend to place with this deck, I played Samurai Last year in the same event and came in the Top 8. 

Hello readers, I'm back with another tournament report, this time a little closer to heart than the Irish Open. This one will cover my experience at my Battle of the Kingdoms Qualifier in Portadown. 

I stay at Jordan Gill's house <3 <3 (jaylikescookies) and I get there at around half 8 on the Friday night. We do the same thing as last time, stress about not having a deck to play so we look on the Internet for some inspiration. I really want to play wind-up but I haven't anywhere near the stuff I needed to build the deck so that goes out the window. I look at the previous YCS and we joke about Samurai. I decided to build the deck for a bit of a laugh, unsleeved like a boss, holo's and all. Jay plays my rabbit deck and we play a few games. The Samurai's give the deck a hard time and now i'm starting to seriously consider the deck. I sleeve  it up and look at a side deck for it. The build begins to get tweaked and testing begins. I like playing against Jordan, he's a good testing partner and it's good to play against someone with a high degree of tournament level play. 

I really enjoy the deck and decide to go for it, seeing as it's 3a.m on the Saturday morning and we have to get up at half 8 =(. We go to bed and I continue to look on-line for some strange builds off the deck, I even consider putting Tour Guide's in to go with the M-X-Saber Invoker. I write the build down and decide to build it on the train down in the morning. This, as you will come to read, did not work out. 

We wake up fairly late and rush to get ready to get the train down, we go to central station on the off the train passed through there, and it did. This took a huge amount of pressure off us and we just sit down and wait to head to board the train. Once on board, bags down, jackets off and cards out, editing our builds and looking over them to make finally edits. I build the Tour Guide version of samurais and draw a few hands with it. The synergy between the Tour Guides and the Samurais just wasn’t there and so I decided against and finalise my build. We play a few games and we see that the decks have a good game against each other, feeling confident we headed onward.

We got to our stop and walked round to the store holding the event and noticed there was a pretty good turnout. I started chatting to a number of people and picked up the last 2 cards I needed. Jay and myself had decided to side deck Obelisk for a bit of a joke and we said to a group of close friends. Next thing I realise when I step outside is that everyone was talking about it, news travels fast it seems and everyone was asking me to show them my side deck. I found this pretty sick. The event was meant to start at 12 with registration being at 11, it got to half 11 and we were still stood outside the shop. Everyone found this frustrating, particularly those who had work that night (me -.-). Eventually we got the go-ahead to move round to the venue and decklist sheets were handed out to those who didn’t have one. We started filling out the deck list sheets, I havd to do mine away from everyone else because only one person barr me knew what I was playing, that being Jay. We all handed up our sheets for registration and the event finally got underway at half 12/1. This was possibly the worst part of the day, finding out the rounds were going to be called out and not printed out and posted up. This really ate into the time and it almost took the time of a whole round to do and it happened every round.

Anyways, Round 1 and I was paired against Chris Deering playing Darkworlds, this was the only match-up I didn’t want to play against, of all the decks it had to be this one.
Game 1 I get the heavy storm off getting a 3 for 1 destroying 2 set upstart goblins and a reckless greed. He set these because he needed to get ensure that his dragged down to the grave went off successfully, which it did he ended up discard snoww in order to search out a Grapha. The play was back to be and I ended up making Shi en with 3 backrow and a spirit of the six samurai equipped to mu Shi en, he is under reckless greed so he can’t draw into an answer.   
Game 2 I make a Shi en quickly and play dimensional fissure. His hand is Gates of Darkworld, Grapha, Silva and a Gates on the field. He can’t discard due to dim fissure and so he has to scoop due to his lack of outs.

So I’m X-0

Round 2 I play against another guy I know, James Quinn playing Chaos. Game one I open the nuts, I have 8000 life points to his 0 by turn 3. I opened Gateway, united and Dojo, pretty sick.
Game 2 is very close, we end up playing back and forward each of us making good plays and good reads. I end up on 250 life points. The last turns go like this. He summons sorcerer that he gets back with alchemist. I effect veiler it. He tributes it for a set monster, I joke about saying it was millennium shield because I only had 500 life points left and I only had shi en. He summons another chaos sorcerer and I had to solemn judgment it. Dropping me to 250 life points. Next turn I go off which ends up winning me the game.

I’m X-0

Round 3, probably my favourite match of the whole day against Mo Teko, my foreign brother from another mother. He was playing dino rabbit. I was confident about this match-up because it was all I had tested against. Game one, I start and am able to make a Shi en backed up with a fiendish chain and a solemn warning. He summons Grand Mole and attacks, I fiendish chain it and he use Forbidden Lance and for some reason I don’t negate it. This is because I am seriously out of practice with the game. This costs me the game because I can’t build up enough momentum to gain advantage again.
I win game 2 by swarming the field and pushing for so much damage.
Game 3 was really close, I was holding the nuts but I needed another samurai monster. I was about to make my comeback but he was able to make a laggia and stop my summon and so it cost me the game, Good game all in all.

Im X-1 in round 3 so I know I have to win out from here in order to be in a chance with topping, I was thinking about dropping if I lost the next round but I stuck by it and round 4 was paired.

I played yet another guy who came up from Dublin to play. He was playing Lightsworn which I seriously did not expect to play.
I win game one by hime milling all his outs and have a spirit of the six equipped to Shi en and having it put in some serious work.
Game 2 He has the nutssssss, so I decide to go to game 3.
Game 3 plays out in his favout for the most part. We go to time and his field is face up royal decree, Chaos sorcerer, card trooper, Celestia and Black Luster Soldier. I take all the attacks but I book his BLS dropping me 1500, I draw the Six sam monster I needed. I drop Gateway and dojo, reborn my Kageki and special summon GrandmasterI search for Kizan and special it and do that again, I make M-X-Saber invoker to special another Kizan, then pop my dojo to search for Kagemusha. I make Trish and Banish his facedown BLS, JD in hand and Necro guardna in graveyard, lastly I play dim fissure so his trooper can’t net him a draw. I use the last 2 counters on Gateway to pump my Grandmaster to 2600 so it can beat celestia and then I make my push, getting rid of his field. He draws glow up bulb sets it and then scoops.

I’m still X-1 after Round 4, things are looking up.

Round 5 and I’m paired against Steve Man the Disco Ape. Yet another guy I know and am very good friends with. He is playing plants and I was feeling confident against this match up as I was able to get a few test games in against this deck before hand. I win game one fairly fast. Game two my hand and next play I planned out was ALL about the special summons, I mean ALL about the special summons. He discards Maxx ‘C’ and I decide to just go to game 3, I wasn’t winning that game. Game 3 was pretty interesting. We both opened our turns with a monster and 3 backrow. He makes a poor play by summoning Doomcaliber Knight after I had attacked his tengu he brought out a second in defence the turn before. One of my backrow was heavy storm accompanied with a solemn and a starlight road. I storm he has no response, his backrow are pulling the rug ( I only play 1 Kageki which I sided out hehe) torrential tribute and another card. At this point I have a Shi en in play, if he had a compulsory at that point I would have lost the game because my hand was pretty poor. He didn’t and I move to attacj his tengu in order to make Doomcalibar force it’s effect, in turn clearing his field. He has no cards in hand and I pass. He sacks a Black Luster Soldier -.- and summons it killing my Shi en then hitting me Directly. I have dark hole to get rid of it. I summon a monster after playing a dojo and from there continue to beat him down, he can’t draw an answer and so I win.

So I’m X-1 going into the last round and I get placed at the top tables so I would have placed in the top 8 at that point. I have to win this game in order to make top because my tie-breakers are pretty poor.

Round 6 comes about and I’m paired against David Boyd, again another friend of mine and he is playing Wind-up. It’s the first time playing against the deck properly and so I kind of know what to expect but not overly. I Kill him quickly in game one because I have 2 copies of Maxx ‘C’ to shut him down. He tries to go off on the second on to kill be but I have Mirror force to kill his Utopia, Leviair, Zenmaighty, take a material off Zenmaines and do nothing against Tiras. Drawing for my turn I have 17 cards in hand, needless to say I win. Game 2 I win in time by 50 Life points, rivalry of the warlords puts in some serious work here =)

So at the end of swiss I’m X-1 so I make top 8 and for doing so I get a Big Adreus the Keeper of Armageddon. Yay!!

Top 8 comes around and I play against Inzektors. Plain and simple I get wrecked, I was going to drop because I need to head home in order to be in time for work but Matthew Beattie offered me a lift home so I play the game out but I don’t focus at all so I end up losing.

The finals are Dino-Rabbit V.s Wind-up With Wind-up winning.

All in all it was a good day I really enjoyed the most of it except for calling out the rounds. Other than that it was pretty sick topping with samurai’s again. Next year I will play something different trust me.

Until next time folks

AJ


No comments:

Post a Comment